Thursday, January 15, 2009

Heartbreaker

Last night I saw Metronomy at the Popfrenzy night at Becks Festival Bar. They were excellent - so sweet and infectiously energetic. Awesome. Even though my new shoes were killing me I found myself unable to do anything but dance up a storm. Part of it was the performance they put on - all three of them were wearing these matching super cute black t-shirts with glowing white circles on their chests, and they had very charming synchronised dance moves that the busted out while playing their various instruments. I'm a sucker for synchronised dance moves, even more so when they're performed by fresh-faced indie boys. And they seemed very genuinely enjoying themselves, which is always a joy to watch and is entirely contagious.

I'm sure at some point there'll be some videos on youtube that you can watch... in fact I was standing behind a dude who was carefully recording the best bits - probably for your watching pleasure.



I don't entirely understand the point of doing this though, as community-minded and altruistic as it may be. If you missed out on seeing the gig do you really want to sit through a video of lights, the back of someone's head and motion-sickness-inducing bumps?
Especially shot from way back in the crowd on a photographic still camera/phone. Not to mention sound-distortion that could even make the most industrial loving sound freak want to hear something with melody and clarity? For the record, Metronomy live last night sounded really really good.

But for those of you who missed out and want o get a sense of the show, here's a shot of what I could see from where I was, just near that dude. [Sorry, the dance moves and glowing tees didn't translate so well in this one.] Obvs this conveys the amazing dynamic light-show makes you wish you were there. I know. What can I say, I'm a naturally talented photographer ...

This is all part of the Sydney Festival madness - which started last weekend with 300, 000 people in the CBD enjoying Festival First Night. Apparently Grace Jones was amazing, I can assure you that DJ Medhi + Busy P were on fire. Santogold and Atrak got rave reviews, as did Sharon Jones. Basically all round a hugely successful and fun start to the festival. Except for 'The Sydney' - the dance that was created especially for the event. Let's not talk about that.

Some dude got so excited by the whole experience that he decided to climb a light pole. I think he thought that the crowd would cheer him and for a moment he'd be a total hero. I don't think he expected the enthusiastic response that he got. Check this out...



Anyway, so we're well and truly into festival season now and the gigs are continuing to flow thick and fast. Early reports on the Dead Meadow and Fuck Buttons show last night was that they were amazing. I look forward to seeing them at ATP. Brace yourselves people, it's basically back-to-back gigs and fun-times until Easter now.

No comments: