Sunday, March 29, 2009

Shut Off The Light


Getting a bit nostalgic this weekend. Watching Bloc Party on Rage last night got me inspired to revisit their debut album, Silent Alarm. It really was the soundtrack of 2005. I listened back to it today and was suddenly revisiting a whole series of memories. Isn't it funny how music can do that?

M83 are playing this Thursday. I can't wait. Saturdays = Youth was one of my favourite records of last year. Kim + Jesse was my fave from the album. Like the whole album it was a bit of a slow burner, but such a great melodramatic pop song. 

And while we're on the subject of heat. This weekend, I've been basking in the hothotheat of Betty Davis. Not to be confused with Bette Davis, the American Actress and subject of the Kim Carnes 80s hit. I'm talking Betty the fox on the motorbike, amazing fuzzed out guitar licks and firey focals, model and I guess in some ways famous for being Miles Davis' second wife. But really she should be much more famous for her own talent - not to mention amazing beauty. She's often credited with being a huge musical influence on her famous jazz musician husband - and introducing him to much more experimental sounds. Bitches Brew was apparently inspired by her. Go and immerse yourself in This Is It, an anthology of her 3 albums. 

No comments: